BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 3, 2010

Ahh, beauty.

   Today, I had to go in to lifeguard at 7:45 in the morning, meaning I woke up at 6:30. I'll be waking up that early all week, sadly. Being homeschooled, I'm not used to this. I hope I can make it. But the best thing about today was standing at the edge of the indoor pool while lifeguarding, with my back to the outdoors to catch a little sun and a little breeze, watching the morning light make my shadow on the ground in front of me.

   At first, I just played around with it, not really paying attention. But then I got to thinking "who came up with the idea of a shadow"? The obvious answer, God. But that's another thing that so many people put down to evolution and chance. Seriously, how could evolution come up with something that so perfectly mimics your body, even showing the little ridges of your skin if you get close enough? That makes no sense.

Who taught the sun
Where to stand in the morning?

   No, really. Who did? The sun is so perfectly placed in our solar system. Any further away and we would be a cold world, inhospitable for life. Any closer and we'd be burning up. And why does it rise east to west? Why not north to south or something? Who told it not to hit the north and south poles as much as the equator?

And who told the ocean
You can only come this far?

   The other day, I was at the beach with my friend Ian Taylor. He was taking forever to finish this short story we had to read for school, so I just sat and watched the waves for a little bit. They we all grey and filled with sand. They mount up high and frothy, and then dwindle away into nothing. It seems like they could go so much further, but they don't.

And who showed the moon
Where to hide to 'til evening?
Whose words alone can
catch a falling star?

Forget where He hides the moon, who the heck even thought up the moon? That thing determines the freaking tides. Without it, the sea would be pretty much out of control. As for the stars, how are all of them except the sun far enough away to just be tiny dots of beauty in the sky instead of big blazing balls of fire like they really are up close?

I know my Redeemer lives*

I know that. And boy, am I grateful.

*Song: Redeemer by Nicole C. Mullen

0 comments: